Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tuneful Tuesdays

This week I've listened to The King's Singers a bit. I listened to their album Street Songs, where they have recorded several multicultural pieces. One of my favorite pieces is "Horizons." However, I don't think this is a piece for them. I mean, I like the King's Singers; they've been a premier group for decades and earlier. But I think this piece needs a more beefy tone to it. The group has a wonderful sound for early music, they do 20th century pieces well, and overall they are good at applying certain tonal characteristics to the literature they do. Maybe "Horizons" is a piece for them, but the way they've recorded it on this album is not as primitive in color as I think this piece should be performed. It's a bit too proper...if that makes any sense...

I've also listened to a long time favorite band, Over the Rhine. Ah...good stuff. Particularly their album Good Dog Bad Dog.

Nessun Dorma was in the mix this week. I'm not sure what it is about that piece, but it brings me close to tears nearly every single time I hear Pavarotti perform it. It's just so vocally magnificent for his voice. Maybe this is a "Bandwagon" piece - one that you can talk about a little bit or nod your head saying "I know this piece" if you dont know much about music of this genre - but it truly is one that gets to me a lot.

Now get out there and be healthy by listening to music regularly!
Blogged with the Flock Browser

2 comments:

Matthew Cook said...

Good thing you don't live in Germany then, bud. T-mobile has a commercial that uses at least 30 seconds of Paul what-his-name singing Nessun Dorma on Britain's Got Talent. I'm the same way as far as the near to tears thing.
I don't know if you remember me asking you about a year ago if you knew a particular tune that I had heard in Dr. Hernon's Music 111 class but Nessun Dorma was the piece I was thinking of. I finally figured it out by searching YouTube for Pavarotti sometime this spring. As I was telling Dr. Rogers when we saw the T-Mobile commercial the other day, watching isn't good for my health; it makes me want to be a music major every time.

Rach said...

wow...M's a music freak, too!