Thursday, July 9, 2009

In retrospect...

I've had a few days to think about the experiences I've had the past few weeks, and all I keep thinking about is when I might be able to return. An overseas experience that lasts longer than a tourist's usual 4 or 5 days to go 30 different places to take 1500 photos is just beyond words, really. I was able to begin to get plugged into a culture in a different country and be able to experience it in it's fullness. Well, almost...the language barrier was a bit of a setback, but what I came to know and realize firsthand is that the normal Leipziger is a lot like me. The German works hard, earns money, pays rent and other bills, eats, sleeps, bathes, and has a good time with friends. If I spoke German fluently, I would look just like any other Leipziger.
My guess is that had I visited Hong Kong I would come to a similar conclusion about Hong Kong's culture. Granted these cultures have slightly different laws than to which I am accustomed, but it really is, from a broad perspective, the same: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." The Germans don't walk around kicking people not expecting consequences. At one small time in their history that may have been the case, depending on which political party or political/ military power the German held. It's sad, I think, that the German culture is stereotyped as steeped in the color black surrounded by crossness and some sort of fury. As I left the states, at least two people I know mentioned something snide and sarcastic about Hitler. How sad. The only thing that some people know about Germany is Hitler's authority. 1933 - 1945. 12 years. That's all. And I dare say that most of that assumption and sarcasm is based on what they know about World War II. That brings the 12 years down to 6 years: 1939 - 1945. Don't get me wrong; I'm not excusing the Holocaust or the anti-semitism Hitler embraced. That's not the point. The point is that there is so much more to the German people than that sour time of their thousands-of-years history. The Germans, from what I can tell after three weeks, are moving on from that era. And I just think some people should follow them. They are even moving on from the age of the Berlin Wall. Free commerce appeals to the formerly-East Germans. I was able to go into any business in Leipzig and purchase what my little heart desired.

...blah, blah, blah... I could go on and on about how a formerly East German city is becoming more stable within the definition of Democracy (rather, "People's Republic"), but I will spare you my ramblings.

The bottom line is that I cannot wait to return to see again the friends that I made, taste the food, attend the St. Thomas Church Sunday Service, speak with the Germans (maybe next time I can better understand them and they me), ride the street trains, and feel it's sehr schönes Wetter. Come with me next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Blair,

As I read your post I couldn't help thinking about our great country and slavery. There is a substitute teacher in Dickson who is German. Our students were always quick to make their Hitler comments until they found out that we(the team of teachers I was fortunate to work with) were not going to allow them. I wonder... if one of us went into a school in Germany would those students ask us why enslaved negroes? Would they snicker and laugh when we walked out the door?