Sunday, July 5, 2009

Final Days and Travels Home

The final days of my Leipzig adventures were engulfed deeply in my German class. My apologies for not keeping up to date with the blog. Besides learning the grammatical ways of the German language in the morning classes, I was with a group in the afternoons to study some of Leipzig's specialties, namely Leipziger Lerche and Gose. In order to learn about these two things, we were out in the community a good bit asking Leipzigers about them. What we found was that Leipziger Lerche is a pastry that dates back to the 18th century. (I'll leave you to follow the link to read a little about it if you's like.) Gose is a beer that actualy began being brewed in Goslar in the 11th century. It is now brewed in only a few places in Germany, and Leipzig is one of those places, namely the old Bayrischer Bahnhof. On Friday afternoon, everyone had to present their projects to the entire summer course group, and my group reenacted our tours of the Gose brewery and the Bakery in the form of a small skit. I was volunteered to be the brew-master answering all the Gose questions in order to inform the audience. So...I stood on stage with my little apron (as well as the rest of my clothes) and small script-prompt and acted like a German "braumeister." That's what held my attention most of the week. I did get a chance to be with people outside of an academic setting. I can say that I have made some international friends: 2 from Sydney, Australia and 3 from Leipzig. I was able to have dinner with them a couple of times, and each time we had the best time laughing and being together.
The Thomanerchor went on their annual holidays on Saturday 27 June, so I was not privileged this final week of getting to listen to them. As a matter of fact, I wasn't able to go to any concerts this final week, sadly. Bachfest ended with the Thomanerchor's final concert Friday 26 June, and the Gewandhaus Chor's final public performance was Mendelssohn's Paulus. There was not much after that...only the Ballett of Stravinsky's music. No concert reports in this post.
Yesterday's travels home were quite glatt (smooth). It was early, but my alarm awakened me at 3:45am, I caught my tram at 4:30 to the Taxi hang-out in front of the Hauptbahnhof (main train station), got to the airport by 5:15 and caught my plane to Munich at 6:00. I didn't have much of any layovers; just enough time to get to all of my connecting flights. From Munich I went back to Heathrow, which was much more stressful this time through. I only had 2 hours to get through border control, find my luggage (as Lufthansa only checked it to London instead of USA), check my luggage/ get a boarding pass and find my gate. I did a lot of speed walking. 2 hours might sound like a nice amount of time, but it really is not. Heathrow is way too large of a place...I'm pretty sure it's as large as a small town. When I got to the Passport/ Border control line, there were about 100 Saudi Arabians waiting in front of me. I paniced a bit, as I was sure such a long line would put me too far behind schedule. I finally got to the front of the line, and the Immigration officer asked me for my "landing card." I wasn't told of any such card, nor were there any large signs saying, "Landing cards, folks. Get your landing cards! Step right up!" So...I stepped out of line to fill out my little card that added a few grey hairs to my head. When I finished, the English were nice enough to me to let me go to the front of the increased line of immigrants. Below you will find the dialogue between me and the Immigration officer at Heathrow:
"Hello, sir." (as spoken with a THICK English accent...think "My Fair Lady" Cockney-ish)
"Good day."
"You haven't told me how long you'll be staying here."
"Ah. Sorry. I only will be here as long as it takes me to get on my next flight...maybe another 45 minutes."
"Too bad. London's a great place. Terminal three, please."
"Terminal fee?"
"Yep. Terminal three."
"Can I pay that here?"
And with confused eyes accompanied by a deeply furrowed brow, he leaned his big belly back in his chair. By then I figured out what he said...
"OH! Terminal THREE! I thought you said 'Terminal FEE'."
As I laughed, "You've never been to Heathrow before, have you, sir."
As I continued to laugh, "Only once, but I was not pressed for time like I am right now. You could have told me that I in fact DID have a terminal fee and that I needed to pay you."
He nobly answered me, "Nope. Wouldn't do that, sir. Good day to you."
After thanking him for his kindness, I hurried off to pick up my bag and get a boarding pass in Terminal three. I found my gate as people were boarding the plane, so all turned out nicely. To make it even better, I ended up with a seat to myself the entire 8 hour and 45 minute flight across the Atlantic and down USA's eastern seaboard.

Here I am at home. It's good to be here, but I do miss Leipzig already. I'll take Rachel soon.

2 comments:

Shanna said...

Glad you made it home safely!!

Matthew Cook said...

Well done, mate! Sounds like some of my adventures, only I was surrounded by primarily Dutch speakers in Amsterdam.

On the last trip, coming back from Berlin, I almost got an extra night in Amsterdam, since for whatever reason I was put on standby for the flight home. I was the last person on board and was lucky enough to sit next to a child who constantly opened the window to let in the blinding sunlight for 8 or 9 hours!

I think it's the flights that are even more convincing to just go over there and stay permanently!

See you in a few weeks, ja?