Tuesday, June 16, 2009

First day of Deutsche Klasse

Last night there was a meet-and-greet party for all of the students, and most of them are from the states. It calmed my nerves a bit to know that a lot of them have had either no German, as much German as I, or only a little more than I have had...whew. After yesterday's wandering around Leipzig with all of my possessions, I felt a little overwhelmed. And after today's first class, I feel much better about this adventure. The teacher speaks ONLY German to us, so that's something around which to wrap my brain. Although it's hard today, it will get better I'm sure...I would even feel slighted the experience if she taught us in English. Afterall, I came here to learn German!

So...here is the itenerary for each week:
9 - 12:30...class everyday
Mitteltagsessen
2 - 3:30...class
Abendessen
5 - 7...evening cultural activity (different choices each night)

The cultural activities include going dancing, bowling (I like to bowl, but I think I'll skip this...I can bowl at home.), and you guessed it...concerts. Bach/ Mendelssohn concerts, not pop music. There is a Stravinsky concert sometime in the coming weeks as well.

Well, I have had to post this at Starbucks, as I still have no Internet in my room. I only have 1 hour here before my connection expires.

bis Morgen!

4 comments:

Rach said...

I'm so glad your class went well! I, for one, think you should show off your mad hot bowling skills to all of those Germans!

Anonymous said...

Guten Tag! I think it's "Mittagessen", not Mitteltagessen, and it's Leberknodel mit Suppe---not Leben. In Germany, or a German restaurant, is the only place where I will knowingly eat a liver dumpling. I love that soup. With so much study time you DO need to go bowling once in awhile. It also builds good fellowship with other students, you learn some local customs, and it let's you laugh and play. I am, of course, a worshipper in the tradition of Anglican and Lutheran churches. The liturgy is meaningful and the excellent music is a critical element of the service. Gayle

Shanna said...

Yay for Starbucks!

bchadwick said...

Ja, ja, lieber Gayle. Es ist nicht "Mitteltagessen" und nicht "Lebenknodel..." Du hast Recht. Es ist "Mittagessen" und "Leberknodel..." Danke schön! Ich lerne schnell, weil ich hier in Deutschland bin. Es würde einfach sein, Deutsches zu lernen, wenn ich hier lebte. Viva Deutschland!