Thursday, October 23, 2008

Today's Tunes...

So, I've been engulfed in my Choral Literature class the past several weeks, and I've heard some amazing music.
Obrecht wrote some fantastic music, Missa Caput in particular.
Palestria...WHOA! Go listen to his Pope Marcellus Mass...at least the Kyrie. Fantabulastic!
Thomas Luis da Victoria...good stuff.
My favorite: Josquin. Absalon fili mi.

I'd heard the music of these guys before, but not in context of what I have learned about their cultural time period. These guys were rock stars!

alright...now that my geek self has passed, Rachel Yamagata has been coming through my speakers. Jazzy girl. Good stuff. Cold Play's X&Y album has been playing in my vehicle. I like his voice, even though he sings with little resonance and solely from his throat. I certainly wouldn't encourage my choir to sing like that, but his voice fits his music well.

Hmm...this is a geeky post, but I am, afterall in graduate school.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

5 comments:

Shanna said...

Never heard of any of these people...amazing how much music is out there that the world never gets to enjoy!

Rach said...

Yay for Rachael Yamagata!

bchadwick said...

Indeed..I spelled Rachael Yamagata's name wrong...

Shanna said...

You must still be engulfed in your choral class...haven't heard from you lately!

Matthew Cook said...

I'm so glad you're a music geek!