Saturday, July 7, 2007

Poppity pop music

NPR does a segment entitled, "This I Believe," where they feature solid essays written by people who convey worthy-of-sharing beliefs. Like them, I have beliefs too, and right now they happen to be about mainstream music.

Some good. Some not-so-good. Some never gets old no matter how much it's played. Some just isn't old enough and will always be immature crap. Some folks ask me about my work, and I tell them that I'm a choral director at a high school who hopes to further pursue the field with higher degrees. After the conversation goes so far, they ask something like, "So do you listen to any country or rap or rock?" My response is, "If it's good."

I do know some who believe the radio is completely ridiculous these days because "music just ain't what it used to be." And to such statements I would have to agree that music certainly isn't at all what it once was. But I would be agreeing for a different reason, rather than in support of sulky, pouting comments. Music can't help but change. It always will, and you can lay a high bid on that.

I believe pop music can be good. Of course there is a lot that isn't because I can't help but notice how poorly the musical lines are written or how less than thought provokingly scratched down lyrics can come out, as if these folks were in a hurry to write the song, produce the song, and sell it only to drive the market to feed their green pockets. But sometimes it's done well. There are those out there who actually think about solid material to present to the public and actually fearlessly (perhaps fearfully) put it out there for people to enjoy and connect with. Some folks ask me what constitutes good music and want me to name off specific people for them to listen to, but I tell them to listen for those people who cause you to reflect on your life, your current mode of operation, or anything that makes you stop and say to yourself, "I truly enjoyed that because of what it communicated to me personally, and not just because it's what other people are tuned into." When you can say things like this about a singer or songwriter, it is then you have encountered a musician, an artist. 

No comments: