Friday, July 6, 2007

90 miles a minute

So you're thinking, "a blog for recording aesthetic moments emoting from music"...who's this guy? Why would I want to read this emoting stuff, much less leave comments on posts?
The truth is, my mind runs, you guessed it, 90 miles a minute when it comes to "musical moments," and I need one more place to write them down so I don't forget them. I usually put them in a journal, but I thought why not put it out for the public so I can welcome thoughts of others and learn from you guys? Sounded pretty cool to me.

Being a conductor, though I'm quite young at it, comes with its nearly cultish ways. Constant thought about how to convey information to people in an understandable way through words and body language. But that's not the beginning of it all. A conductor primarily exists within his thoughts and communicates to the world first through a pencil, leaving its graphite (or colored pigments) on the musical score. First, the obvious work: marking the dynamics. These are the things that protrude from the page in black and white. The hard work comes in figuring out how to phrase the piece. Long phrase? Short phrase? What musical context works in conjunction with the text being sung? Now what are the heights of the phrase? Which parts of the phrase should be most important, and what makes the most sense with the entire work? What is it the composer wants people to learn or like about this piece? ...and on and on and on...

So, you see. A conductor's mind, at least mine, can go crazy. Thus I post to welcome comments, questions, and food for thought to apply a little breakage to the 90mph I often experience.

No comments: